Friday, February 4, 2011

happy on Friday mornings

His name is Flare. Of course that's not his real name. It happens to come from a bulletin we had passed but I don't mind. He's all I've ever wanted. HE is the answer to my prayers.

There were hound dogs tracking me down St Johns Blvd. They passed but found me the second time round. I ran. Made my way into the house. But he came through my window and I couldn't help but feel he had come to save me. Like I was the Princess stuck in the castle for all her days until he found her.

When I was nine my mother died. She possessed powers. Powers I inherited but never learned to use. Dad kept them secret. I'm 20 now and being hunted by vampires. vampires studying at a liberal arts school. In the middle of working on a cast of Wizard of Oz the leader sniffs the situation... I am alive. HE has not done his job.

He has a dog named Uno who looks more vicious than any animal I have ever imagined. After nearly mauling me he sits straight and softly presses his paw on the top of my hand. I feel relief. I feel comfort.

We talk we stare and in what feels like no time at all.. our lips collide.

He was gentle and knew what he was doing. His face much more mature than mine. His muscles sweating, bulging. Round face, blue eyes, black shirt. He answered my questions to the most vague extent. Why? Who? What's next?

Dad started shooting rounds downstairs with the automatic. I knew time was running out.

Bursting in came Mandy. We escape. Flee down the stairs, through the green house, round the garden and across the highway.

We stop and I eventually catch my breath. When I do, I say the most shocking of statements. "I'm in love". She looks at me awkwardly, she has never heard me talk like this. I realize I've never heard me talk like this. Yes I repeat reassuringly in my head, yes. "I'M IN LOVE!", still nothing. I take a more serious tone, "Do you hear me? I love him".

He makes his way back as if he never lost sight of us. When I spot him I'm still short of breath. I try to steady my breathing. Deep breaths. I've never felt more relieved. Exhale, now smile. I throw my arms around his waist. He returns with an intense hug of his own and at that moment I know I will never feel vulnerable again.

Ashley appears. Keeping a close eye and in slow strides we follow the sidewalk.
Flare boosts me on top of his shoulders like Dad did when I was a little girl.
I feel rude realizing I haven't introduced my notable, my new found love. And then I realize.. I myself don't remember catching his name. So I ask. He glances around and replies in French. "Excuse me?" And when he replies again I think he says Flare de Luc. He hesitated. I don't believe him. So he hesitated? I don't care. I flash a smile of satisfaction.

"Flare this is Ashley and Mandy. Mandy and Ashley meet Flare".

I'm overwhelmed by happiness and I open my eyes. I'm awake but where is he?

No comments:

Post a Comment